Thursday, January 6, 2011

Something New Every Day

Whew. It isn't easy, studying John Jay. But one thing that's great, I learn something new every time I look him up, or turn a page in one of these fat, informative books. Now, it's common knowledge (at least amongst those people who have admired John Jay for a lengthy time) that he was against slavery. Very much so. And, the first time I interviewed one of his descendants, I learned he was a founder of the New York Manumission Society. Say what? Manumission. This group, founded in 1785, promoted the abolition of slavery. But what I learned today? It was that John Jay actually promoted legislation to free the slaves. It failed in 1777 and in 1785, but it was SUCCESSFUL in 1795. Yes, here's a founding father who helped to emancipate all NY slaves in 1795. This nation has made a few mistakes along the way; but, for the most part we should be proud of our legacy . . . and our kids should be made aware of it. So, that's why I'm having a blast creating these Johnny Vic adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment